11 Most Common But Dangerous Plants

Posted by Belinda Bird on

It is difficult to know what plants are toxic to our pets and why, so we have researched this for you. We strive to make pet ownership as safe as possible and hope this provides clarity on how to keep a safe yard and household. 

Autumn Crocus

DANGEROUS TO DOGS & CATS

The Autumn Crocus is highly toxic and can cause severe vomiting, gastrointestinal bleeding, liver and kidney damage, and respiratory failure. Signs may be seen immediately but can be delayed for days.

 

 

Azalea

DANGEROUS TO DOGS & CATS

Eating even a few leaves can result in vomiting, diahorrea and excessive drooling; without immediate veterinary attention, a pet could fall into a coma and possibly be fatal.

 

 

 

Cyclamen

DANGEROUS TO DOGS & CATS

The roots of this seasonal flowering plant are especially dangerous to pets. If ingested, cyclamen can cause severe vomiting and even death.

 

 

 

Kalanchoe

DANGEROUS TO DOGS & CATS

This popular flowering succulent plant can cause vomiting, diahorrea and heart arrhythmias if ingested by pets.

 

 

 

Lillies

DANGEROUS TO DOGS & CATS

Peace, Peruvian, and Calla lilies contain oxalate crystals that cause minor signs, such as tissue irritation to the mouth, tongue, pharynx, and esophagus – this results in minor drooling. The more dangerous, potentially fatal lilies are true lilies, and these include Tiger, Day, Asiatic, Easter and Japanese Show lilies – all of which are highly toxic to cats! Even small ingestions (such as 2-3 petals or leaves) can result in severe kidney failure.

 

 

Oleander

DANGEROUS TO DOGS & CATS

Oleander is an outdoor shrub, and the leaves and flowers are extremely toxic if ingested and can cause severe vomiting, slow the heart rate and possibly even cause death.

 

 

 

Dieffenbachia

DANGEROUS TO DOGS & CATS

Popular in many homes and offices, dieffenbachia can cause intense oral irritation, drooling, nausea, vomiting, and difficulty swallowing if ingested.

 

 

 

Daffodils

DANGEROUS TO DOGS & CATS

These flowers contain lycorine, an alkaloid with strong emetic properties (something that triggers vomiting). Ingestion of the bulb, plant or flower can cause severe vomiting, diahorrea, abdominal pain, and even possible cardiac arrhythmias or respiratory depression.

 

 

Lily of the Valley

DANGEROUS TO DOGS & CATS

These symptoms include vomiting, diahorrea, a drop in heart rate, severe cardiac arrhythmias, and possibly seizures.

 

 

 

Sago Palm / Cycad

DANGEROUS TO DOGS & CATS

Very popular in warmer climates, this household and outdoor plant can be very harmful to pets. If ingested, the leaves and seeds can cause vomiting, bloody stools, damage to the stomach lining, severe liver failure and, in some cases, death.

 

 

Tulips and Hyacinths

DANGEROUS TO DOGS & CATS

Tulips contain allergenic lactones while hyacinths contain similar alkaloids. The toxic principle of these plants is very concentrated in the bulbs (versus the leaf or flower), so make sure your dog isn’t digging up the bulbs in the garden. When the plant parts or bulbs are chewed or ingested, it can result in tissue irritation to the mouth and esophagus. Typical signs include profuse drooling, vomiting, or even diahorrea, depending on the amount consumed. With large ingestions of the bulb, more severe symptoms such as an increase in heart rate and changes in respiration can be seen and should be treated by a veterinarian.

 

From all the team at

Innate Pets


Older Post Newer Post

Scroll To Top

params.svg
Panel Tool
Float header
Float topbar
Default Boxed Large